[Buddha-l] query to the list

Geoff Morrison sanskrit_studies at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 16:02:44 MDT 2011

Hi, Joanna:
David Eagleman does his neurosciences research at Baylor University's Medical School in Waco, TX. His new work, Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain, is a compilation of current "brain" research, together with some "conjectures and speculations" (in the David Hume sense of these terms) into where neurosciences research might be going in the future. The value of this work might depend largely upon how much knowledge of neurosciences that you are already aware of and how densely populated your own knowledge base of these fields of research might be. I have included a link (below) for a brief excerpt from Eagleman's newest book:
http://www.eagleman.com/incognito
As I recall, Eagleman was also profiled in the April 23, 2011, issue of the New Yorker Magazine, where you can read more about this "neuroscientist by day" and "science fiction writer by night," to use his own words to describe his own activities.
Neurosciences, or whatever you want to call these fields of investigational research, are expanding at an almost exponential rate, so a static compendium for a very dynamic and expanding knowledge base may or may not be what you are seeking. Since the work's release date is Tuesday, May 31, 2011, you might want to wait until the book comes out to make your own judgments about its value to your particular needs and requirements. If you are in New York City, probably Book Culture will have a copy later this week.
Let me know what you think of Eagleman's newest work.
Best,
Geoff MorrisonSanskrit Studies FoundationLos Angeles, CA 90004, USASanskrit_Studies at yahoo.com