[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

donna Bair-Mundy donnab at hawaii.edu
Thu Aug 2 17:51:54 MDT 2012

Aloha,
   There are many interpretations of the concept of jihad. Many years ago I
was told by a Pakistani Muslim that the true meaning of jihad is the
internal struggle between good and evil in one's own heart.  While a
blanket disparaging of the concept may not be warranted one may certainly
express a preference for a particular interpretation.  I have a preference
for the non-violent interpretation, but I suppose that is somewhat
self-serving as someone who does not self-identify as a Muslim.

   As to violence in the name of religion, there have been many postings
over the years of participants of many religions committing terrible
crimes against humanity in their quest to convert the world.  I remember
a conservative Christian leader saying that the U.S. had the right to nuke
the U.S.S.R. into non-existence based on the biblical passages relating to
Gog and Magog (see Exekiel 38 & 39; Revelations 20.8).  A friend of mine
who served on a ship that went to Vietnam during the war told me that the
Christian chaplain came on the intercom system and encouraged those on
board to kill Vietnamese for Jesus.

   There is so much violent imagery in the scriptures of the major
religions that a person who is upset, angry, feeling disempowered can
readily find legitimation for violent actions against others.  And the
World Wide Web makes it easier for the disaffected to find persons of like
mind around the world, helping to legitimate a violent worldview.  There
is no easy "fix" for this.  However, we can minimize putting additional
fuel on the fires of anger.  Allowing Muslim (or Jewish, by the way) women
to cover their hair does not threaten the security of the majority.  So
how about allowing women to cover their hair but not their faces?
Covering the face is not required in the Quran--the passage used to
legitimate such a requirement is vague and open to many interpretations.
But to know that we need to be familiar with the Quran, understand the
Quran.  By better understanding the tenets of a particular religion we can
more readily achieve compromises that achieve a better balance between
security and religious freedom.  And by engaging in dialogue in order to
come to such a balance we can demonstrate respect for those persons whose
beliefs differ from our own.
   Just a thought...

                    	Have a safe and joyful day,

 			donna Bair-Mundy, Ph.D.