[Buddha-l] FW: Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Aug 6 11:11:37 MDT 2012

I think what bothers me about discussions like the one going on now is that
list members don't want to reflect on the fact that Islam is not just a
religion or, let's say, a bunch of related spiritual communities.  Like what
Christianity once was, it is also a politics, and in some quarters it has
vast visions for world domination, just as Christianity once had (and as
some so-called evangelicals still have).  So far, the theoreticians on this
list don't wish to bother with the consequences of the international
politics that some Muslims, and one particular Islamic government, have
undertaken ever since the US moved armed forces into Saudi at their official
invitation to "protect the government" from bin Ladens' ambitions, and the
ensuing attack on the WTC.  (Muslim rulers did politics in the past,
legitimizing them by religion, as well. I refer here to recent actions.)

Reading the suttas from the Pali canon, one cannot ignore the politics that
the Buddha himself got involved in because of kingly patronage: but that too
usually is ignored--at least on this list-- in favor of dogmatics and
ethics. I say this only to ensure that we understand that Buddhism
historically has always been political (during and after the Buddha's time).
As I revall, this angle was once discussed here. Thus,  there should be no
hindrance to discussing the politics of any other religion or spiritual
community and the behavior of its patrons. However, here there apparently
are mental blocks reflecting either ignorance, or reluctance to appear to be
off topic, or both. (However, off topic is as off topic does on this list.)

I wrote the above just to explain where I come from in my few remarks on
list during this topic. I have given up getting in depth anywhere on
Buddha-L with the politics angle, but as a social and cultural
anthropologist I am unable to ignore it.

Joanna