[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 7 03:31:35 MDT 2012

Op 07-08-12 01:06, David Living schreef:
> Erik says
>
>> First of all, Andy, the correlation theory of truth is under heavy
>> criticism and possibly even completely outdated. Secondly the word
>> 'verisimilitude' you use is quite interesting because it is a
>> combination of two Latin words: veritas, which means truth ans
>> similitudo, which means likeness, and cannot be thought without the
>> concept of truth, because an untrue likeness is no likeness at all.
>> So your definition is begging the question and therefore completely
>> mistaken. In fact it is an attack at truth itself.
>> Any slight attempt at meditation will teach you BTW that our reality
>> is anything but real. Oh, and before I forget: Santaclaus does not
>> live at the North Pole.
>>
> Ah but if I was to break into your house and steal 50 Deutchmarks off your desk. Would
> you be so philosophical about truth if I were to deny doing the dastardly deed when
> caught and questioned?
> Aryacitta/Dave Living

Hi Dave,
these objections are all too familiar. Apart from the facts that
Deutschmarks are useless nowadays, because we all have Euros now and
that Deutschmarks were only usefull to me for trips to Germany, Your
entering my house and taking away stuff is all part of a social 'game'
and the rules we use to establish the facts are pretty well accepted
usually. Even if you tell me that I accept the truth of a truck coming
my way at 100 M/h because in such a situation I step aside, is not the
issue here. What is at stake is how I know this and the correspondence
theory says is is because the truck or the money is in my head as ideas
and in the world as things and that the ideas are kind of projections or
pictures of the things. And this is very difficult to maintain because
if I would want to check if there is nothing wrong with the projection I
would have to get out go my mind and out of the world to enter the space
in between where the projection takes place. Nobody ever succeeded to do
this.

Erik