[Buddha-l] Engaging in Right Speech

Gary Gach gary.gach at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 07:07:28 MDT 2012

Aug 2, Vol 90 Issue 15
James A Strobe asks :

> for Gary, can protest, or even "speaking
> truth to power" be Right Speech at all? Justified indignation is still
> a source of suffering.

Good question.   Yup, like the man sez, anger only begets anger.  No
matter how righteous or justified the inciting indignation might seem.
¿Ain't the reverse true too? : love reigns supreme.   Silence can be a
form of Right Speech too -- but the question is what's most skillful
to reducing suffering, in the particular situation; sometimes words
can be powerful levers.  I'd shout at someone who's listening to
earphones "Get out of the way!" if a speeding truck were about to hit
them, and I couldn't pull them away by the arm in time.  (Or, how get
the children out of the burning house.)

Good question.  From my own ken, I recall when — for instance —
someone was elevated into a much greater position of power in the
community at large.  There were immediate outcries, in the popular
discourse, condemning, his past, etc.  Yet some engaged Buddhist
activists got together to write him a letter, reminding him what a
great gift it is indeed to have a human birth.  And of all humans, to
be one given the mighty power this person is being given, how
marvelous.  We then reminded the person of the common cause we'd
shared over the years, and hoped that would continue ... and then
mentioned other issues where we'd hope for mutual solidarity as well,
(where this person formerly had been lacking, during his previous
position, but we didn't put it this way.)  We didn't acknowledge his
previous negative statements about Buddhism.

The letter was acknowledged, and opened up a little doorway, for
future dialogue, and remains open to this day.

So speaking truth to power doesn't necessarily have to mean camping
out on someone's lawn and blocking their car when they drive to work,
and being difficult.

If I'm causing unnecessary suffering to many people, how do you
approach me so that I have an opportunity to pause, reflect, consider,
contemplate, understand, realize, and act beneficially? To perhaps to
even heal the sources of my own suffering  ...

¿ Ain't transformation at the heart of Buddha Dharma ?

Am I answering your question, Andy ?  It's a good one!

To dot an 'i' in Right Speech, of possible academic interest -- I
recall hearing about a monk who spoke to a nun as they were walking
away together following a Dharma talk, in Vietnam; he spoke to her,
during Noble Silence, about vital issues outside the monastery walls.
As I heard it, this was a seed of what becomes now known as "engaged
Buddhism" in Vietnam.

In the incident is the understanding that there's no dualism between
speech & silence.

The deep listening within your question, and the compassionate wisdom
it reflects. brings me happiness, not suffering, Andy.   Thank you for
asking, and in the manner in which you do.

Aloha
Gary
http://word.to