[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Margaret Gouin gouin.me at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 01:58:06 MST 2012

On 12 January 2012 00:11, Franz Metcalf <franz at mind2mind.net> wrote:

> Mandatory Buddhist content: I've long wondered if the notion of karma can
> properly be applied to nations. If it can, then surely the lack of progress
> for the Palestinians illustrates the karmic effects of their violent
> actions. On the other hand, what about the karmic effects of non-violent
> actions in the Tibetan case? Doesn't seem fair, does it? The more I think
> about karma, the more I think Stephen Bachelor has it right.
>
> I've heard it said (in non-academic settings such as teachings) that some
Tibetan Buddhists regard Tibet's present troubles as karmic retribution for
Tibet's violent military past, which included--if I'm not
mistaken--invading China at least once. Whose karma would be playing here,
Tibet's? China's? Both? If corporate 'persons' such as nations have karma
analogous to individual karma, what about national and multinational
corporations?

Karma stretches far back in time and space, and far forward too. And as is
well known from discussions on this list, it's not the only factor in the
unfolding of events. I think Stephen Bachelor takes too simplistic a view
of it, as do most of us.

Sincerely,
Margaret
--