[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Jan 12 08:37:41 MST 2012

Margaret et al.,

You wrote

> Karma stretches far back in time and space, and far forward too. And as is
> well known from discussions on this list, it's not the only factor in the
> unfolding of events. I think Stephen Bachelor takes too simplistic a view
> of it, as do most of us.

Touché! I appreciate your inclusion of "most of us" (definitely me) in the category of taking too simplistic views of karma. I would add "most everything" to that list. But, to return to the notion of collective karma, just how would it work? If the idea of an individual's karmic stream (as in, "Who or what is reborn?") is difficult to grasp, even paradoxical, surely the idea of collective karma is much more so. So difficult to grasp, in fact, that it might not be worth the effort, at least to me. Has anyone done serious work on this topic?

Cheers,

Franz