[Buddha-l] China plans theme park near Lhasa

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 20 08:49:14 MDT 2012

Op 20-07-12 16:04, Jo schreef:
> Chinese theme parks are created, produced, and probably also built by Han
> Chinese, unless they hire a few Tibetans as semi-slave labor. The creativity
> will have nothing to do with Tibetans. They might however see it as an
> avenue to some employment, if they are lucky.
>
> JK

Do not underestimate the flexibility of the Chinese entrepreneur,
Joanna. I have seen shop owners in China that claimed to be of genuine
Tibetan descendence, and told all kinds of fake stories about their
'relatives' in Lhasa. I even would not be surprised if the obligatory
Tibetan dance group and street vendors in the theme park will come from
Beijing. It is btw very easy to tell if someone is Tibetan by the
typical pronunciation of the dentals which no Chinese will ever master.
It will be however very difficult to find someone who will set himself
on fire in the streets now and then, only the be harshly beaten
afterwards by secret police. But I suppose everybody has his price.
Perhaps a job for captured Falung Gong members?

erik