[Buddha-l] Internet activist Aaron Swartz commits suicide Re: Library.nu

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 02:19:58 MST 2013

Police hadarrested
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/reddit-co-founder-charged-with-data-theft/>Swartz
in July 2011. He wasaccused of stealing
<http://www.scribd.com/doc/60362456/Aaron-Swartz-indictment>4 million
documents from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Jstor, an
archive of scientific journals and academic papers. The authorities
claimed that he broke into a restricted-access computer wiring closet at
MIT and accessed that network without authorization.

Jstor said that the downloaded content included "more than 4 million
articles, book reviews, and other content from our publisher partners'
academic journals and other publications."

If convicted, Swartz faced a maximum of $4 million in fines and more
than 50 years in prison after the governmentincreased the number of
felony counts
<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120917/17393320412/us-government-ups-felony-count-jstoraaron-swartz-case-four-to-thirteen.shtml>against
Swartz to 13 from 4.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57563642-93/internet-activist-aaron-swartz-commits-suicide/