[Buddha-l] Internet activist Aaron Swartz commits suicide Re Library.nu

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 10:20:38 MST 2013

Hi Jo,

This smells like anticipated damage control. It is not clear who was
behind the increasing number of charges. JSTOR had dropped the charges.
http://tinyurl.com/18r
BTW the link "JSTOR was not the entity pressing charges" in this article
has disappeared (Our Apologies... We Can't Find The Page You Are Looking
For), but JSTOR's statement is still available here.
http://tinyurl.com/18r

"The criminal investigation and today’s indictment of Mr. Swartz has
been directed by the United States Attorney’s Office. It was the
government’s decision whether to prosecute, not JSTOR’s. As noted
previously, our interest was in securing the content. Once this was
achieved, we had no interest in this becoming an ongoing legal matter."

By making the content publicly available for free before the upcoming
process, JSTOR seemed to want to come out of it clean. Perhaps Pontius
Pilatus/JSTOR motivations were clean from the start, or perhaps it
launched the Attorney Office, and then withdrew, thus having its cake
and eating it. What is the anonymous power behind the US Attorney’s
Office's zeal? A case of setting an example no doubt, but who exactly
wants to set an example? Is it the will of the US public to have
knowledge protected by paywalls? Julian Assange must be following this
with interest...

Jo wrote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57563642-93/internet-activist-aaron-swartz-
commits-suicide/ "News of Swartz's suicide came only days after Jstor
announced this week that it would make more than 4.5 million articles"
publicly available for free."