[Buddha-l] New? Gandhari documents

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 08:23:52 MST 2013

While the opening paragraphs make it sound like the German group just found
brand new manuscripts, further down a more sober account is provided.

"The researchers work not with the manuscripts themselves, but with digital
scans. The originals are not only extremely fragile, but are held in various
collections scattered around the world. A large fraction of the surviving
material is stored in the British Library in London. The ultimate goal of
the project is to prepare a modern edition of all the Gandhari manuscripts,
thus making them available for further investigation."

A number of people, primarily under the leadership of Richard Solomon,
including Collett Cox, etc. have been working on selections of these mss.;
the process of unrolling and digitizing them in ways that allow them to be
readable (they are in various states of preservation, including pages stuck
together, or parts of pages stuck together, many lacunae, etc.) took a long
time. The German group got funding to organize and publish all the
fragments. As Joanna points out, a number of things have been published
already, and more is ready for publication.

Dan