[Buddha-l] Going, going, gone.

Jayarava jayarava at gmail.com
Tue May 21 05:29:24 MDT 2013

I'm looking at Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika in Sanskrit. I wonder if
you would care to express an opinion on the distinction between gati and
gamana that he is drawing in Chp 2?

Being a neophyte Sanskritist I'd tend to translate them both into English
using words such as 'moving', 'motion or 'movement'. I have access to
translations, but I'm interested in understanding how the 2 different
grammatical forms convey something different. Is it possible to deduce the
difference Nāgārjuna is expressing from the grammatical forms, or is it
simply conventional?

Thanks
Jayarava

(Back on Buddha-L after several years of hiatus)