[Buddha-l] Compassionate Violence?

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sat May 25 00:08:01 MDT 2013

On 24/05/2013, James A Stroble <stroble at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2013 11:22:15 +0600
> Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> D.B. Gray - Compassionate Violence?:On the Ethical Implications of
>> Tantric Buddhist Ritual
>>
>> <http://vajrayana.faithweb.com/DGrayCompassionateViolence.pdf>
>
> Thanks for this, Chris, very helpful.
>
> Of course, in reference to our original topic, I am interested in any
> justifications of violence to defend the Dharma, the Buddha, or
> Buddhism in general.  And this in immediate practical action rather
> than mythological?

The Buddhist tantras and Tibetan gter-ma literature are full of rites
to destroy enemies and invading armies. As it happens I'm just reading
Karma Phuntsho's excellent new "History of Bhutan" which records a
number of occasions where such rites were employed by Bhutan to
overcome Tibetan, Mongolian, and British forces.