[Buddha-l] Some good news for Mes Aynak

Stuart Lachs slachs at att.net
Wed May 22 08:59:19 MDT 2013

Guttorm Gunderson who presented the Mes Aynek film at the Oslo Buddhist Studies
Forum informed Prof. Ute Husken, organizer of the Forum that as a happy
afterthought to the [wide spread showing of the ]  film on the excavations in
Mes Aynak,

"The United Nations' cultural arm, UNESCO, is also stepping in to help the
excavation project.

"We  want to preserve and protect the maximum possible what is there," says
UNESCO director general Irina Bokova. "At the same time we understand  that
economic development is a problem for the country. The good news  is, I think,
we have some time, probably some three years to work on  this."

On a two-day visit to Afghanistan in May 2013, Bokova  secured the cooperation
of the Afghan Ministries of Culture and Mining,  as well as funding from the
World Bank, to ensure preservation continues  at Mes Aynak."

Below is a short film clip and story from Aljazeera

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/05/201352071040948543.html

All the best,

Stuart