[Buddha-l] Nalanda's destruction

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat May 25 12:38:39 MDT 2013

Warner,

Raverty used a range of sources, including several mss. which he and others
considered quite early as well as more recent ones, and even printed
editions (not surprisingly, he found some of the older mss. to be more less
error-ridden than the more recent editions; it was the sorry state of the
printed edition that spurred his interest in procuring additional mss.). It
is likely further mss. have been discovered since the 19th c. His
annotations indicate he was the sort of thorough philologist and historian
that characterizes some of the best work done in the 19th c. Just from what
I have looked at so far, it seems a very solid work.

Incidentally, while during the 20th c many scholars relied on Taranatha as a
source for historical India, his star no longer shines very brightly -- it
is now recognized that he is a problematic, late source of much erroneous
information.

Andre Wink can be very informative. Please let us know what you discover.

>and yes, Elverskog definitely does not address the account in the
> Tabakat-i Nasiri. That whole opening chapter doesn't really make an
> argument about Nalanda.

He makes the claim, as I quoted earlier, that the story of Nalanda is
untrue, but, since it would be impossible to back that claim up with serious
evidence, as you say, he "doesn't really make an argument," just a bald
claim, with insinuations that it was operating and doing fine long after it
was destroyed.

Most sources suggest that Vikramasila in Bengal was probably the last major
Buddhist university operating in India, which contributed to Tibetan
Buddhism through the 13th c; Kashmir retained some Buddhist centers that
also stayed in contact with Tibet at least through the 15th c.

But one has to beware of certain inflated claims (which constitute much of
the hot air in Elverskog's book). For instance, a 2010 dissertation at
Harvard by Arthur McKeown offers the possibly misleading title: "From
Bodhgaya to Lhasa to Beijing: The Life and Times of Sariputra (c1335-1426),
Last Abbot of Bodhgaya." If "last abbot of Bodhgaya" suggests to you that
Bodhgaya was a healthy or even failing insitution that Sariputra inherited
but was unsuccessful in maintaining its continuity, then the title is
misleading. Bodhgaya was already a desolated ruin when he arrived there. He
persuaded some the local royalty to donate to "rebuilding" it, and then took
his fund-raising campaign on the road to Tibet and Lhasa. McKeown of course
makes that clear in the dissertation itself, but to suggest that Bodhgaya
(which, incidentally is also in Bihar) were functional in the 14th c is
misleading, an gross exaggeration at best. I wouldn't exactly call Sariputra
a huckster, but he does remind me of the well-heeled and seemingly
respectable group currently trying to reestablish Nalanda University in
India and hitting up potential donors around the globe (of course, when you
hear their actual plans, it has very little to do with Buddhism or promoting
Buddhist studies -- they are more interested in Islamic studies, actually --
but they use the name and reputation to elicit interest and mega-$$). For
Sariputra, making the rounds of Buddhist countries like Tibet and China,
fundraising in the capital cities with the claimed purpose of sending money
back to Bodhgaya to keep it going -- one only has to look at the current
international interest and investment in Bodhgaya to see how lucrative that
might be. (The dissertation is well worth reading -- lots of good
information on the pan-asian situation of Buddhism at that time.)

Dan