[Buddha-l] Ven S Mahinda Thera:

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sun May 26 13:32:56 MDT 2013

Hi Dan

Thanks for the.links.

I was suprised to discover that there was no article about Kazi Dawa
Samdup on English Wikipedia - so I have now started one, though it
needs more work.

Related to  S Mahinda Thera I found this "A popular anecdote on S
Mahinda Thero says, a few years back a Chinese scholar was send to Sri
Lanka from China to research on the writings of the Mahinda on the
purpose of highlighting the Chinese contribution to Sinhalese
literature. But when it was discovered that Mahinda was from Sikkim
and not Tibet, the research was closed down. "

http://sikhim.blogspot.com/2008/12/sikkim-mahinda-thero-national-hero-of.html

This seems very likely  - particularly if the Chinese realised his
elder half-brother worked for the British Raj, the 13th Dalai Lama,
and was the senior translator at the Simla Treaty.

- Chris