[Buddha-l] Happy Halloween! Buddha-L is defunct!

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 02:30:58 MDT 2013

>   Before this list goes away I was hoping that I could get some pointers
> to good translations and commentaries regarding the Surangama Sutra. donna
> Bair-Mundy, Ph.D.

Donna,

First, one has to distinguish between two entirely different texts.

One is a "legitimate" Indian text that survives in Chinese translation
called the Surangama-samadhi sutra. It was often translated together with
the Vimalakirti Sutra. Etienne Lamotte translated that into French with
excellent annotation, and Sara Webb-Boin translated that into English. You
can get a PDF of the English version at
http://lit.lib.ru/img/i/irhin_w_j/surangama_samadhi/suramgamasamadhisutra_lamotte.pdf
Some years also found the French edition in an online PDF. If you search
around the web you can probably find that as well, if you prefer.

The other text, which is the one I suspect you are interested in, is a
Chinese apocryphal text, which means it was composed in China but was passed
off as a translation of an Indian text. It has been very popular in East
Asia and Vietnam, and remains so to this day. There is an old but decent
translation of it by Lu Kuan-yu (also known as Charles Luk). A PDF at
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/surangama.pdf
This includes selections from the commentary by Hanshan Deqing (Han-shan
te-ch'ing) -- that's Silly Mountain, not the poet Cold Mountain. Hanshan was
one of the most important and brilliant Buddhist monks of the Ming dynasty,
sometimes considered the 7th patriarch of Chan. Lu translated many of
Hanshan's works.

Master Hsuan Hua (Xuanhua) of the 10,000 Buddhas held the apocryphal
Suramgama in high regard so back in the '70s his followers published a
serialized translation interspersed between his commentary. After he died,
they redid the work, attempted to argue that it was an authentic Indian text
(elsewise, why devote so much devotion to it?), and that is available here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Surangama-Sutra-Translation-Commentary/dp/0881399620
To sample their earlier work and get a sense of their approach, see Ron
Epstein's website:
http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/Buddhism/Shurangama/Shurangama.htm

Beyond that, time to learn Chinese.

cheers,