[Buddha-l] book on Tibetan 'discipline'

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 17 04:05:37 MDT 2013

> so now do we
> need further allegations that monks are violated?

The book apparently deals with two Tibetan institutions in India, one
following the traditional, brutal methods, and the other trying to move to a
more western "liberal" approach, but finding it difficult.

As for this being about "allegations," I passed the book notice on to a well
known Tibetanist colleague who said he hadn't seen the book, but " it looks
interesting. I know several people who were educated in the Geluk system who
all remarked on the harshness of discipline, the use of physical
punishments, etc. It's probably a lot better than in Tibet, but still pretty
medieval."

So, not "allegations." Disclosure might be a better word (less hysterical
than "expose").

The larger underlying issue is the gap between the imaginal "Buddhism(s)"
that we in the west have constructed from our own needs and proclivities,
often with complicity from our asian counterparts, and the actual
Buddhism(s), past and present. The "facts" are slowly emerging, and some of
them are painful, especially for those who cling to the fantasies, and
prefer their fantasies to the realities. That attitude, however, is
nonBuddhist; ignorance and delusion are the root problem.

Dan