[Buddha-l] liturgical languages (was: Will new the pope verify Buddhist doctrine?)

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 11:48:31 MDT 2005

Curt et al.,

> Is the same true of "Japanese" Buddhist chants - are these
> actually in a "Nipponized" liturgical version of Chinese?

Yes, exactly, at least in the Zen traditions. Total gibberish, but
that's a Zen point of pride, the mind of unknowing and all that.
Shingon brings in Nipponized versions of Sinified versions of Sanskrit,
too. Lucky them--and those are *mantras*! One wonders what unintended
powers the new sounds might have. The Pure Land traditions are perhaps
not as bad, being more folksy from the get-go (though they do chant
from the Sukhavati Sutras, which are--like all Mahayana
sutras--incomprehensible even if they're written in own's own
language). I'm not sure they do this in Japan, but, in America, Jodo
Shinshu Buddhists often chant from the writings of Shinran and those
should be at least as comprehensible to contemporary Japanese as, say,
Chaucer is to English speakers.

[Now to include obligatory Chaucerian content]

This reminds me to be mindful of smale foweles maken melodye outside my
window. Aprill, with his shoures soote, really *is* making me longen to
goon on pilgrimages.

Franz Metcalf