[Buddha-l] Re: Angels

Rob Hogendoorn rmh at xs4all.nl
Wed May 25 08:01:31 MDT 2005

     Van:       rmh at xs4all.nl
     Onderwerp:     Antw.: [Buddha-l] angels
     Datum:     24 mei 2005 20:37:52 GMT+02:00
     Aan:       buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com

In "The Garden: A Parable" (ISBN: 038549789X) contemporary Tibetan
Buddhist scholar-practitioner Michael Roach introduces 'a golden
Angel' thus:

"It came into my mind to tell her something of my studies, some ideas
from the books I had been with, and to impress her with my schoolboy
learning, and to tell her of my growing fame in the school. I opened
my mouth to speak... She gazed up, with luxurious doe brown eyes,
eyelids half closed, as if experiencing some pleasure I could not
see; and I could not speak. I understood only with those languid eyes
that my real lesson lay not in the studies, but in mastering myself
and my own pride. This I learned at the age of sixteen, from this
young girl of younger years, and as if by reward she rubbed her cheek
against my chest, and the luxuriant golden hair poured over me, like
a waterfall. I was moved, in a way new for me, and this was the first
moment that I knew lust, who would become from that moment on a great
and worthy foe throughout my life. I reached my hands up to touch her
small breasts, and again the eyes came up to me, open slightly wider,
this time with a slight glint of sternness, and I found I could not
move my hands. And from these eyes in that moment I learned a second
lesson, and felt my heart enter a second place, a kind of goodness.

And she turned, and took my hand, and bade me leave the garden with
her, still not having spoken a single word. With that there welled up
within me some kind of disappointment, and a hurt; and the moment
these feelings made themselves known to me she stopped, and wheeled
around, and looked a third time. I cannot describe what I saw, but I
can give some hints; a golden Angel, standing fully erect, arms
slightly raised from Her side, palms out toward me, and the golden
hair glowing down, framing Her face like a halo, and the face itself
glowing in the light of the moon coming from above the carob tree
behind us, and soft silken blouse and skirt flowing slightly in the
desert wind, and--again the eyes, asking me what right I had to
anger, now, or ever again; with Her, or with any living being at all;
and was it not my reason for being in this life, at the beginning of
this life, at that moment, and from that moment on, only to learn to
defeat the darkness of my own mind, and to give life, never-ending
life, to the golden light within it. With this She began my life, as
I will tell it here, and as we parted said only, "Go touch the Sun;
She will not harm you.""

Ever since, Michael Roach has frequently referred to 'angels' within
a Tibetan Buddhist context as if they are a given reality.

Best wishes,

Rob Hogendoorn