[Buddha-l] Deceit to Perjury

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 11:20:45 MST 2005

Most Senior Richard, and his Guests,

[ I surfed to BeliefNet today to scan a discussion of 'motivation in
practice', then was distracted by one of their Features (see link and excerpts
below).

Puzzling out what comes next, or what came before (Clinton), I concluded
that 'five precepts' is more 'me' than 'ten commands'. Also, apparently, for
some Abrahamics, deceit is condoned when effectively manipulating others.  ... ]

Richard Basham

**

_http://www.beliefnet.com/story/178/story_17804_1.html_
(http://www.beliefnet.com/story/178/story_17804_1.html)

Perjury: A Crime Against God?
What's so wrong with swearing falsely  under oath? According to religious
sources, quite a lot.
By David  Klinghoffer

>From a moral perspective, what exactly is so very wrong with swearing
falsely under oath? That is one of the questions raised by the indictment of I.
Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney’s chief of staff, on two counts of
perjury–a crime that, if he’s convicted of it or pleads guilty, could
contribute  to his spending 30 years in prison.

Another reason perjury can’t be forgiven, or at least not easily, is that  it
constitutes a denial of God and His power to take vengeance on the perjurer.
The false-oath taker has, in effect, publicly affirmed that he can lie in God’
s  name, implicitly calling divine wrath on himself, and get away with it.
Now  that’s a dis!

Lying has none of these terrible associations. On the contrary, the Bible
itself gives evidence that God employs the occasional distortion of the truth
for a good cause.