[Buddha-l] Crazy wisdom

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Wed Nov 30 20:35:37 MST 2005

Many, many thanks to Hugo, Erik, Bernie, Piya, Curt, and Michael for
varied and interesting wise but not crazy comments.  (If anyone was
trying for crazy wisdom by typing in the nude while gargling with
goldfish, it wasn't clear from your email.)  I'll look for the Ed
Sanders account but may have a hard time getting it in Singapore.
There's always interlibrary loan.  The points about Trungpa's successes
as well as failures are well taken.  As said, one is looking for that
middle way between cheerleading and schaden-freude.  Neither of those
two extremes is useful. One must distinguish between those who may have
behaved in all sorts of unskillful ways (in my view) while also
achieving a tremendous amount of good, not only in terms of establishing
Buddhism as an institution but also in terms of teaching people how to
reduce suffering.
	It would seem from the responses that "crazy wisdom" is not
without precedent but that it is, as far as teaching strategies go, a
very risky gambit.

Thanks again muchly,   JWB