[Buddha-l] Introducing Buddhism ... to advanced students, for a change

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 01:38:01 MDT 2006

Harvey's list is excellent. Anyone know of a reading list for advanced
students?

For me it will surely list the next books (specializing in Pali literature
and some Mahayana):

1) Steven Collins, 'Selfless Persons', Cambridge UP
2) Peter Masefield, 'Divine Revelation in Early Buddism', Sri Lanka
Institute of Traditional Studies
3) Ettiene Lamotte, 'History of Indian Buddhism', Publications de L'Institut
Orientaliste de Louvain
4) Jay L. Garfield, 'The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way'*, *Oxford UP
5) Oskar von Hinüber, 'Handbook of Pali literature', Mouton de Gruyter
6) Yahpal, A Cultural Study of Early Pali Tipitakas, (publisher?)
7) Sue Hamilton, 'Early Buddhism - A New Approach: The I of the Beholder',
Curzon
8) Torkel Brekke, 'Religious Motivation and the Origins of Buddhism ',
Curzon
9) Richard Gombrich, 'How Buddhism Began: The Conditioned Genesis of the
Early Teachings ', Curzon
10) C.W. Huntington, 'The Emptiness of Emptiness: An Introduction to Early
Madhyamika'
11) Makransky, Jackson, 'Buddhist Theology. Critical Reflections by
Contemporary Buddhist Scholars', Curzon
12) Damien Keown, 'The Nature of Buddist Ethics', Palgrave
13) Jeffrey Hopkins, 'Meditation on Emptiness', Wisdom
14) Heinrich Dumoulin, 'Zen Buddhism: A History : India and China With a New
Supplement on the Northern School of Chinese Zen', MacMillan

And, no, I'm not a representative of Curzon, but 'tis true, they have some
darn fine books. Sorry to all Tibetologists for not mentioning related
literature, I leave that speciality to you.

Any other suggestions?

Stefan
* *