[Buddha-l] The Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 21 13:20:34 MDT 2006

Epictetus promoted a pedagogical approach based on "three fields of
study". His first "field" resembles what Buddhists call "sila" - that
is, it was primarily concerned with behavior - and with restraining
one's behavior in particular. Not only is this "field of study" similar
to the concept of "sila" in Buddhism - but it creates the same kind of
cognitive dissonance if one superficially compares the end goal with the
"means". Both Buddhism and Stoicism seek to "free" human beings so that
we can live "unhindered and unimpeded" (these are Epictetus' words I'm
using now - or at least English paraphrases of them lifted from A. A.
Long). But the first step toward this freedom is to limit one's behavior
in various ways. While this might appear contradictory on the face of it
- it is really nothing more than a very straightforward application of
"The First Law of Holes": "When you find yourself in a hole the first
thing to do is to stop digging" (see also the related entry under "US
Invasion of Iraq").

While they were perfecting the first field of study, Epictetus did
encourage his students to artificially constrain their lives, perhaps
even in a way that could resemble what Hospers is referring to. (That
being said, nothing justifies Hospers' misrepresentation of Stoicism
even if it is based on a misunderstanding of the proper place of this
"first field of study" in the overall scheme.) Like many ancient
philosophers Epictetus felt that one's study of philosophy should start
during youth - a time when restraining one's behavior is obviously very
difficult (if memory serves me), but also a time when it is much more
practical than it would be for an adult with real-world responsibilities.

The second field of study is learning how to properly apply "volition"
(greek: prohairesis) and how to distinguish what is "appropriate"
(greek: kathekon). In other words, ethics proper (that is, how to deal
with real world situations rather than merely limiting one's behavior to
avoid trouble). (One might here be tempted to draw parallels with the
Buddhist concept of "upaya".) The third field of study is logic. These
three fields of study are covered in Epictetus' "Discourses" book 3
chapter 2, as well as in chapter 4 of A.A. Long's excellent little book
"Epictetus: A Stoic and Socratic Guide to Life".

Of course not all Stoics followed Epictetus' "three fields of study"
paradigm. But Epictetus is of sufficient status among the Stoics that
any valid generalizations concerning Stoicism should be applicable to him.

- Curt