[Buddha-l] How to help the Dharma grow in western cultures

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Wed Jan 3 16:04:30 MST 2007

Alex wrote:

> Why does this question even arise? No one said or implied that there
> is anything non-Buddhist about drumming.
What I want to know is whether there is anything non-Buddhist about playing
the flute?
Actually, I am serious. Playing the (wooden) flute (jigs, reels, slides,
polkas, hornpipes etc) is my second interest after the dharma. Sometimes I
feel there should be more connection between the two. I think that is more a
problem in me, not perhaps a fundamental or theoretical one. I imagine there
are others on this list with some kind of "artistic" (I use the word
loosely, especially about my own endeavours) interest. Any thoughts?
All the best

There is quite a long tradition (if not folklore) about the use of the shakuhachi (japanese bamboo flute) and Zen.

In fact, aside from court music involving shakuhachi, shamisen and koto, there is an entire "Zen" repertoire for shakuhachi.

Here's a couple of links you might find interesting

http://www.komuso.com/
http://www.nyogetsu.com/links.html

Regards,

Pedro