[Buddha-l] Re: Flute and Buddhism

Elihu Smith elihusmith at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 19:05:29 MST 2007

Re: "Alex Wilding"
"What I want to know is whether there is anything
non-Buddhist about
playing
the flute?
Actually, I am serious. Playing the (wooden) flute
(jigs, reels,
slides,
polkas, hornpipes etc) is my second interest after the
dharma.
Sometimes I
feel there should be more connection between the two.
"

There was a Japanese Zen Sect, the Fuke Sect, in which
the monks primary practice was suizen (blowing zen).
Remnants of this practice exist in some shakuhachi
traditions; an interesting practitioner of this
tradition in modern times was Watazumi Dozo, who was
connected to Soen Nakagawa Roshi, a Rinzai Roshi and
Taizan Maezumi, a Soto Roshi.

Elihu