[Buddha-l] How to help the Dharma grow in western cultures

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jan 3 16:24:25 MST 2007

> What I want to know is whether there is anything non-Buddhist about
> playing
> the flute?
> Actually, I am serious. Playing the (wooden) flute (jigs, reels, slides,
> polkas, hornpipes etc) is my second interest after the dharma. Sometimes I
> feel there should be more connection between the two. I think that is more
> problem in me, not perhaps a fundamental or theoretical one. I imagine
> there
> are others on this list with some kind of "artistic" (I use the word
> loosely, especially about my own endeavours) interest. Any thoughts?
> All the best
> Alex W
============================
Hi Alex,
Why should playing the flute or any other instrument be non-Buddhist, since
the Buddha didn't say anything specifically about any of these, although he
is said to have once complimented someone on his playing of an instrument
(but I can't recall the source of that one). The reason monks are not
supposed to indulge in music is due to the special role of music in those
ancient times, as sexy or perhaps more
intellectual entertainment -- for kings and other rich people. The farmers
probably also had their musical entertainments and folk dances that
expressed social solidarity and supplied relief after the hard work of
harvesting, or celebrated occasions like weddings. Those who weren't monks
were not prohibited from enjoying music--it was incumbent upon them to
reproduce and multiply, since they were the economic support of the sanghas.
Right?
Joanna