[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Nov 3 16:49:05 MDT 2007

SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:
> the typical, banal, and mendacious claim that only Christians impose
> their values upon others, implying that non-Christians do not, and
> this regardless of the evidence in the realm of legislation, law,
> politics, education, etc.

I am unaware of any religions other than Christianity and Islam that are
responsible for the deliberate, systematic extirpation of other
religions. If you or anyone could provide any examples of even *one*
religion that has been wiped off the face of the planet by Buddhists, or
Hindus, or Taoists, or Shintos, etc - it would be a significant
contribution to our knowledge of comparative religion.

On the other hand - if there are no such examples - then that cannot be
glossed over. In fact it leads inexorably to the conclusion that there
are two kinds of religion:

(1) religions that systematically extirpate other religions
(2) religions that do not

Maybe I'm missing something - but this appears to be a significant
distinction.

Curt Steinmetz