[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Tim Bovee/Datni LLC tbovee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 17:33:44 MDT 2007

On 11/3/07, curt <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> I am unaware of any religions other than Christianity and Islam that are
responsible for the deliberate, systematic extirpation of other religions.
If you or anyone could provide any examples of even *one* religion that has
been wiped off the face of the planet by Buddhists, or Hindus, or Taoists,
or Shintos, etc - it would be a significant contribution to our knowledge of
comparative religion.

Requiring "face the planet" as the field of action pretty much limits things
to Western Christianity sometime after 1600, no? Only the Europeans
developed global reach.

If you'll accept a smaller field of action, then we could talk by about the
Buddhist-Shintoist Tokugawa regime's systematic pogrom again Christianity in
Japan, for starters.

Given that  religion and state power often hook up, making adherence to the
regime's favorite religion a token of loyalty, I doubt if any religon's
hands are entirely clean.
--
Tim Bovee, Portland, Oregon
tbovee at gmail.com