[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 5 12:32:46 MST 2007

On Monday 05 November 2007 12:05, curt wrote:

> If anyone knows of any evidence for any survival of any religions from
> Europe, North Africa or the Middle East - other than Christianity, Islam
> and Judaism - that would be another significant contribution to human
> knowledge.

I guess we would have to know your criteria for survival. In Europe and North
American Christianity there are plenty of elements of indigenous European and
native American religions that have become incorporated into what is
nominally called Christianity. One might even argue that far more of European
and American indigenous religion than middle-eastern Christianity has
survived in European and American Christianity. Similar observations could
probably be made of Judaism. So we might say the forms of non-Abrahamic
religions have survived, but not the names.

If I understand you rightly, you would say precisely the same is true of
Western Buddhism, namely, that it is more Western than Buddhist. If I do
understand you rightly, I think you are right about this. Where we might
disagree slightly is how much we approve of the bastard children than have
been born of the mingling of European paganism with Buddhism, Christianity,
Islam and Judaism.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy