[Buddha-l] Quoting Nagarjuna?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 15 13:18:33 MST 2007

Joy Vriens schreef:
> I found the following quote on http://indian-philosophy.braincells.com/
>
> "When the fully enlightened teachers do not appear and when the disciples have disappeared, the wisdom of the self-enlightened ones will arise completely without a teacher."
> - Naagaarjuna's Mulamaadhyamaka Kaarikaa (2nd century CE)
>
> Is this a quote of Nagarjuna, MMK or elsewhere? I don't remember having read it.

Hi Joy,

this is a translation of MMK 18.12
sambhuddhaanaamanutpaade s'raavakaa.naam punahk.saye
jñaanam pratyekabuddhaanaamasamsargaatpravartate

When Buddhas don't appear and Hearers also disappear
understanding arises in the Pratyeakabuddhas without contact.

It seems to me that N is saying to his readers that he considers himself
to be a Pratyekabuddha.

--
Groet

Erik