[Buddha-l] Religious Persecution [was: NYTimes.com: Let Us PrayforWealth]

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 00:13:20 MST 2007

Dan et al.,

I'm afraid my mangled syntax is more a sign of my fatigue and age than
my ambivalence. Still, ambivalence I do have, and in abundance.

I appreciate your continued efforts at pointing up the complexity of
the politico-religious situation in Japan in the 16th and 17th
centuries. It also strikes me that your underlying point is worth
continually coming back to, as it is in such contrast to anachronistic
projections we make on past eras: Japanese Christianity at the eve of
the Tokugawa shogunate was not a matter of some kind of Jamesian
relationship of a lone person to their god, but a matter of public
policy and public allegiance, and such was most religiosity in all
times but our own. So my concern with the free practice of individual
spirituality may (or may not be) paramount now, but it may also be an
inappropriate projection onto prior times and religions.

I am lucky, indeed, to be living in the 21st century in a country that
may now condone, indeed embrace, torture but still more or less upholds
its First Amendment (providing a separation of church and state).

Franz