[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 15 07:41:32 MDT 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> As for the Canadian Health
> care system, some of what I am hearing from Canadian colleagues and
> friends
> who are getting to that age when health care really matters do not
> make me
> envious.

You'll be wanting to get a copy of the Canadian news weekly magazine
MacLeans. A recent issue features an editorial by some troglodyte who
claims that Canadian health care systems are responsible for a culture
of mediocrity. He claims that only free enterprise gives men the
testosterone they need to do anything worthwhile. Boy, is that ever
true, eh? Ever seen any mediocrity in America? No, eh? So I guess the
guy at MacLeans was right, eh? Lots of people from Alberta think the
way he does. But then lots of people from Alberta think Sarah Palin is
the smartest politician to come on the scene since Warren G. Harding
(who, according to some historians, was America's first black
president).

As for your Canadian colleagues and friends (of which I'm sure you
have several thousand, enough to do a careful scientific random-sample
polling of the sort that would provide you with what you would regard
as a fact), ask them which province they live in. Each province has a
different health-care plan. I think the best by far is the one in
Québec, but even the worst of them (Alberta's, I think) puts the
American system to shame. But don't worry. There is no danger that
you'll ever live to see a reasonable health-care policy in the United
States, so I hope there is a good moxibustion therapist in your
neighborhood. As for me, I'll make due with good Mexican curanderismo
fortified by some Navajo sings.

> Just to clarify a few points: Those who put emphasis on ni"scaya
> were doing
> so within the pramana system, i.e., one's judgements/
> decisions/"certainties"
> are not arbitrary, but derived through rigorous epistemological
> means. That
> begins with Asanga, gets further polished by Vasubandhu, Dignaga,
> Dharmakirti and beyond (i.e., those Yogacaras we needn't be
> concerned about
> getting right).

If you were a reliable source, I would take your word for it. Given,
however, that I know that Dignāga was not at all interested in
niścaya, I can see you have made at least one enormous mistake in your
characterization of the pramānavādins. Dharmakīrti all but destroyed
the careful epistemological structure that Dignāga had built by
injecting into it all kinds of ideas that did not belong there: the
bankrupt doctrine of two truths, the laughable concept of niścaya
(certainty), the ridiculous dogma of radical momentariness, etc. Alas,
the work of the hack commentator Dharmakīrti all but overshadowed the
philosophically astute text of the master Dignāga. (As for whether
either Dignāga or Dharmakīrti was a Yogacārin, the evidence is
anaikāntika; hence, we can have no niścaya on the matter.)

> Without Buddhavacana there is no Buddhism.

Is that something you know through direct sensory experience or
through inference? The last time I checked, those were the only two
sources of knowledge accepted by the pramāṇavādins. Given that your
claim is not the sort of thing that can be experienced directly
through the senses, I'm assuming you have arrived at your conclusion
through inference. So exactly is the form of your inference. What is
the pakṣa? What is the hetu? What is the sādhyadharma? On the basis
of what considerations are you confident that there is a vyāpti
relationship between the sādhyadharma and the sādhanadharma? Where
are your dṛṣṭāntas? Or are you suggesting that pramāṇa theory
has made great strides forward in the twenty-first century and that
modern pramāṇavādins now accept a third pramāṇa, namely,
sukhagṛhavacana (the word of Lusthaus)?

Richard