[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 15 17:03:49 MDT 2009

> Without Buddhism, one cannot think of oneself as a
> Buddhist or sympathetic to or sympatico with "Buddhist"
> ideas. Dan
>
> Really? I thought there were many ways to follow dhamma or
> dharma without the labeling of "Buddhist".
> Deborah

Deborah,

Please look more carefully at what I wrote. If there is no such thing as
"Buddhism" with what would one be in sympatico?

Whatever one does may or may not be in concert with Buddhist Dharma -- one
can always be a pratyekabuddha, i.e., someone who solves the riddle without
exposure to or following the Buddhist Dharma. That is one of the three
vehicles. But, by definition, pratyekabuddhas are not Buddhists nor are they
followers of Buddhist teachings.

Dan