[Buddha-l] Non-arising

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri Feb 19 15:59:25 MST 2010

Point taken.
Joanna

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Kansei ??
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 11:53 AM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Non-arising

I am not sure about the issue concerning the emotions. I doubt it
that when one has a certain level of realization or insight that
this doesn't produce negative or disturbing emotions anymore.
I think it is a matter of how far one has the capacity not to be
carried away be these disturbing emotions, being able not to be
trapped by them. Or, having the power to stay present in these
emotions without being pulled into the patterns they start to
run. Then there is nothing wrong with experiencing these
emotions, one can even say they do not disturb one anymore. They
are just another experience "in the world of coming and going",
to use the phrase Bernhard put so nicely.

best wishes,

michael

JKirkpatrick wrote:
> Thanks Michael, I should have said 'demonstration' instead of
'proof.'

> But what I was gettting at is the issue of the emotions, which
produce
> obscurances even when the cognitive realisation has been
attained.
> Could one say that long practice deals with the emotional
> hindrances?-- but that isn't said by such cognitively-oriented
claims
> as the one under discussion (i.e., apprehending the true nature
of
> things).
>
> Best, Joanna

nature of