[Buddha-l] Non-Arising

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 27 04:44:55 MST 2010

On 27/02/2010 10:28, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
> Yes, and the Kathaa-vatthu is an early version of the debate tradition as
> well. There is nothing like the breadth or comprehensiveness of the
> Mahavibhasa, however, in Theravada. It takes up an entire Taisho volume (200
> fascicles).

I dare say that is true. But what is the actual date of the Mahāvibhāṣā
? I tend to assume that the version that Hsüan-tang brought back
contains much material added after the time of the Abhidharma-kośa. If
so, the parallel should also be with the Pali ṭīkā literature. That has
rather more discussion.

Lance