[Buddha-l] Eckhart and Buddhism - general question

S. A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 2 11:22:37 MDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:27:57 EDT, Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> My favorite Eckhart quote is, you have to bust through
>> God to get to God.
>> To me, it is very Buddhist.
>
> It is also reminiscent of the anonymous English mystical
> text, The Cloud of Unknowing. The whole premiss of that
> wonderful book is that the only way to find God is to
> forget everything you think God might be. Forget
> scripture, forget theology, forget philosophy.

Very similar also to Shankara's 15 angas or stages of advaita where
Shankara defines the nondual expereince of Brahman in the last two
rungs, dhyana and samadhi, as:

dhyana: 'I am the very Brahman' by such vrtti remaining without any
object of concentration (niralambana), grantor of supreme joy,

samadhi : becoming free of all transmutations (nirvikAra),
maintaining the vrtti of being identical with Brahman, *then
forgetting that very vrtti.*

Steve