[Buddha-l] Eckhart and Buddhism - general question

Kansei 還西 kansei at shingonan.de
Fri Jul 2 11:34:35 MDT 2010

> lemmett at talk21.com writes:
>
> I am not at all knowledgeable about Meister Eckhart but am currently
> intrigued by his suggestion to always expect to find god. I have read the  Koyoto
> school mentioning him in Religion and Nothingness and the Nothingness
> Beyond God. I think it went over my head a bit.
> ==
> My favorite Eckhart quote is, you have to bust through God to get to God.
> To me, it is very Buddhist.
>
> jack

I made an attempt to translate a quote from Meister Eckehart from German:

/You should know,
that right solitude (renunciation) is nothing other
than the mind immovable towards everything it encounters,
be it dear or anguish,
honor or disgrace,
like a leaden mountain is immovable
towards the faintly wind.
This immovable solitude (renunciation)
takes man to the most equality
with God.
                 Meister Eckehart/

There are many more quotes from Meister Eckehart I like very much, but I
am not in a position to
judge whether they are "Buddhist" or not or if any other label can be
put on them. I believe Meister
Eckehart had no mind for this.

Here's another attempt to translate his words into English:

/Put aside "this" and "that";
what then remains,
that is sheer God.
                 Meister Eckehart