[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 13 19:40:22 MDT 2010

This is what puzzles me about the volume as a whole: the tone of the
contributions suggests that westerners are that ignorant of history, and the
introduction says  "The motivations for this volume are many, but chief among
them is the goal of disrupting the social imaginary that holds Buddhist
traditions to be exclusively pacificistic and exotic."   This is why I first
reacted to the work (before I had the chance to read it) as reverse-
Orientalism.  (And maybe that should be "counter-Orientalism" or "alternative
Orientalism")

	And I suspect more nefarious motivations, not necessarily of these authors,
but by other state actors.  Could there be a concerted project to recruit
traditionally Buddhist nations into the war on terra?   Religion was a
powerful weapon in the Cold War,  and if we (the "West") could just get the
Buddhists to fight . . .

(If I recall, there was an attempt to Afghanicize Tibet when the Chinese first
invaded. )

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy