[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

sjziobro at cs.com sjziobro at cs.com
Mon Jul 19 02:26:16 MDT 2010

Hi Joanna,

 Sorry for the lack of clarity.  The "this" refers to Artur's post.  I understand that I wasn't commenting on your remarks relative to the unbridled use of power to which they are inclined.  But Artur's post did seem a sort of response to Richard's remarks concerning his sense of the Judeo-Christian scriptures as replete with violence and an apparent lack of violence in Buddhist scriptures and other writings.  This surmise on my part was only that, a surmise as to what was Artur's point for his posting.

My question is one familiar to those familiar with exegetical trends from the time of Plato into the fifth century AD.  What does one do with a text deemed to be scriptural in a weak or a strong sense where fantastic events are related?  Are these events relevant to the readers life and, if so, how?  Conceiving an extra-literal sense to what is written allows for conceiving corollaries between outer events and inner emotions, states of mind, etc., which in turn permits one to appropriate the scripture in a personal way that transcends any re-enacting of some event related therein.

Stan