[Buddha-l] Dharmapala (Richard Hayes) and TIP

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 12:44:54 MDT 2010

Hello all,

Richard wrote: I can't speak for what Polish Buddhists may have been doing, but
I do recall reading many years ago in Kau?ilya's Artha??stra that Buddhist monks
make ideal spies, because they can move about freely in crowds and people tend
to trust them. My guess is that over the centuries there must surely have been
Buddhist monks who pursued careers in espionage. But that is only a guess.

Richard

While not a Buddhist monk in the pay of any government for espionage, I would
like to sneak into this discussion a mention of a book that has just been
published in its sixth edition. It has been reviewed by some individuals
familiar to this group in Buddhist (and Daoist) circles. I would like to
insinuate the possibility that interested people request that their university
library order a copy, now available, if they feel it appropriate. This is The
Inner Palace (2010 edition, lxxiv + 794 pp). Reviews are available at
http://jinavamsa.com/books/TheInnerPalace/TIP_reviews.html
It discusses a number of issues quite relevant to Buddhist theory and practice,
in a larger context.
Mitchell
==========http://jinavamsa.com (updated July 13, 2010)
http://jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html