[Buddha-l] Buddhist warfare

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Jul 31 21:00:00 MDT 2010

On Jul 31, 2010, at 8:25 PM, andy wrote:

> Appears there is a century-long conspiracy, and academics have been useful
> idiots or fellow-travellers!  Or is this just another case of disillusionment
> turned into a crusade?

Accusing academics of blindness, naïveté, duplicity, dupicity (or whatever the noun is for being a dupe), conspiracy and treachery is one of the oldest popular sports in human culture. What is mildly interesting about American anti-intellectualism during the past fifty years or so is that intellectuals themselves have been so enthusiastically anti-intellectual. I see it as part of the gradual decline of human fitness for survival that began when people stopped chasing lizards and throwing sticks at rabbits and started farming and domesticating animals for food. (Maybe I've read the "primitivist" sections of Zhuangzi too many times.)

Richard