[Buddha-l] Buddhist warfare

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sat Jul 31 21:41:45 MDT 2010

Gang,

At the risk of being labeled a curmudgeon, I have to support Richard
in his concern with evolution. He wrote that he saw

> the gradual decline of human fitness for survival that began when
> people stopped chasing lizards and throwing sticks at rabbits and
> started farming and domesticating animals for food. (Maybe I've
> read the "primitivist" sections of Zhuangzi too many times.)

Of course he was writing in jest, but I think also from the heart (no
conflict). In the time we've spent defying the entire evolutionary
principle of direct competition, the great majority of what has driven
our greatness has turned to drive our doom. Now it may be that the
least adapted to the 21st century overwhelmingly people the planet.
Sigh. But this happens with all apex predators, no? It is simply the
working of anicca. (Just too bad for those of us clinging to the
survival of the species.)

Where was Zuangzhi went you needed him?

Franz