[Buddha-l] Ethical Dilemmas and Death Penalties andmaliciouszombies for governor.

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:17:37 MDT 2010

> Op 15-06-10 08:56, Stefan Detrez schreef:
> > People are opposed to the death penalty for a range of reasons, yet those
> > very same people plead for euthanasia and other forms of life ending
> > measures.
> I never saw anybody pleading for euthanasia, nor abortion. Some only
> want to have the right to do it, and they want it out of the penal
> system. Capital punishment is not the same.

Those who plead for euthanasia or abortion want a legal framework to allow
it. Capital punishment, abortion and euthanasia are about bringing about
death.

> I have the right to brush my own teeth and not the right to brush yours. So
> ending your own life is
> not on a par with ending someone elses. Many sensible people prefer to end
> their life before they turn into an plant and I don't see what's wrong with
> it.

That's exactly my point. What's wrong with a government asking a convicted
person whether they want to end their life prematurely OR stay in prison
until they die without parole. It can be seen separately from a punishment,
but as a basic right to die (as Dan pointed out).

> In fact the Buddha ended his own social life in order to
> become a buddha. Voluntary death penalty is nonsense, euthanasia is not
> about punishing yourself.
>
> Maybe 'voluntary death penalty' is not a good label, but I stand by it that
prisoners with a life term should be provided the means to end their lives
prematurely if they wish to do so with medical or other help. It's better to
call it 'Life imprisonment with the right to die on demand.' If capital
punishment is too harsh a punishment, than being forced to stay alive too.

Stefan