[Buddha-l] Accuracy

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 11:54:05 MDT 2010

Bob,

> The implied, or inferred action on the part of one who has heard the
> teachings would seem to be to take no part in praise or detraction,
> viewing
> both, directed to self or other, as distractions from the work of being
> awake. By our presence here, we have all forfeit our defense on that
> ground

Close, but too ostrich-like. What Buddha actually recommends in the
Brahmajala sutta, the first sutta in the Digha Nikaya, is somewhat more
active:

Bhikkhus! if others should malign the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha, you
must not feel resentment, nor displeasure, nor anger on that account.
Bhikkhus! If you feel angry or displeased when others malign the Buddha, the
Dhamma and the Sangha, it will only be harmful to you (because then you will
not be able to practise the dhamma).
Bhikkhus! If you feel angry or displeased when others malign the Buddha, the
Dhamma and the Sangha, will you be able to discriminatc their good speech
from bad?
"No, indeed, Venerable Sir!" said the bhikkhus.
If others malign me or the Dhamma, or the Sangha, you should explain (to
them what is false as false, saying 'It is not so.
It is not true. It is, indeed, not thus with us. Such fault is not to be
found among us.'
Bhikkhus! If others should praise the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha, you
should not, feel pleased, or delighted, or elated on that account.
Bhikkhus! If you feel pleased, or delighted, or elated, when others praise
me, or the Dhamma, or the Sangha, it will only be harmful to you.
Bhikkhus! If others praise me, or the Dhamma, or the Samgha, you should
admit what is true as true, saying 'It is so. It is true. It is, indeed,
thus with us. In fact, it is to be found among us.'

Don't ignore or act aloof, but point out what's wrong in wrong views, and
what's right in right views, letting accuracy -- rather than emotions or
preservation of home turf -- be the guiding principle. Richard and I both
agree on that, I think. We just draw the line between right and wrong on
different planets.

Dan