[Buddha-l] Taoism and Lotus Sutra

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed May 5 18:15:29 MDT 2010

The issue would be, for a start, what did the illustrations of
Taoist saints look like before the Lotus Sutra made its
appearance?

Joanna

/ I visited the exhibition on Taoism in the Grand Palais in Paris
today.
It was very nice. I overheard a tourleader say that only when the
Lotus Sūtra was introduced in China the Taoists realised their
iconography couldn't compete with the Buddhist one and started to
make up for it.
This would explain the strong resemblance of many Taoist pictures
of Saints with Buddhist pictures of bodhisattvas.
Comments anyone?

erik
/