[Buddha-l] Taoism and Lotus Sutra

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Thu May 6 00:13:30 MDT 2010

Hi Eric,

The only thing this makes me think of is the portrayal of the sixteen
arhats (in Tibetan representations),  the eighteen arhats (lohan) in
Chinese and the sixteen arhats (rakan) in Japanese representations. I
have always loved those representations of unworldly arhats, but
thought them to be more Taoistish than Buddhist.I have once seen a
Tibetan painting of one them eating a rock, suggesting some sort of
rasayana.

But this would rather make a case of Buddhists making their saints
look like Taoists .... ?

Joy