[Buddha-l] Samadhi and faith

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri May 21 20:08:23 MDT 2010

Samadhi is not a suffix. It's a word. It means meditation, concentration,
focused mind.

Surangama is an unusual word, so there are several theories about what it is
supposed to mean. One meaning is something like "hero", "courageous one."
Surangama samadhi would be the type of contemplation engaged in by someone
who is a surangama.

As for Wonhyo's commentary on the Vajrasamadhi, you should consult the
recent translation by Robert Buswell. That's his area of expertise.

Dan