[Buddha-l] Conservative and liberal Buddhists

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 26 17:10:58 MDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> For a traditional Buddhist account that holds nirvana to be nonsense (the
> position of Nagarjuna and Candrakirti), please see the brilliant essay by
> Bibhuti Yadav, "Negation, Nirvana, Nonsense," publ. in the JAAS back in
> 1977, available as a free download at
> http://openpdf.com/ebook/nirvana-pdf.html

Getting this requires a having a subscription to JAAR. Or so the pop-up window said when I tried to download it. Is a pop-up window a pramāṇa?

It's hard to believe that Nāga and Candra would regard nirvāṇa as nonsense, but I'll wait to read the article to find out. Even before reading it, I'm fairly confident that neither of those fellows holds that the big N is nonsense in quite the same way that modern humanistic psychology does.

Richard