[Buddha-l] Conservative and liberal Buddhists

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 17:36:35 MDT 2010

>> Bibhuti Yadav, "Negation, Nirvana, Nonsense," publ. in the JAAS back in
>> 1977, available as a free download at
>> http://openpdf.com/ebook/nirvana-pdf.html
>
> Getting this requires a having a subscription to JAAR.

That appears to be the case. Sorry. I have a copy. Is there a way to post
the pdf to the buddha-l server so that those interested can download a copy?

> It's hard to believe that Nāga and Candra would regard nirvāṇa as
> nonsense, but I'll wait to read the article to find out.

It is logical nonsense, a Buddhist chimera. They are not rejecting it
because of prior commitments to some form of materialism or humanism. But
let Yadav explain it...

The piece also gives Candrakirti's delicious response to type-A grammarians
and narrow-minded philologists:

na hi śabdāḥ dāṇḍapāśikā iva vaktāramasvatantrayanti, kiṁ tarhi satyāṁ
śaktau vakturvivakṣāmanuvidhīyante |
(Prasannapadā in the commentary to MMK 1.3, p. 9 in the Shastri edition)

"Words are not policemen..."

Dan